Twitter is a free microblogging platform that allows you publish Tweets that are 140 characters or less.
Twitter followers are the platforms equivalent of “Facebook Fans” and “YouTube Subscribers”. Gaining real and genuine Twitter followers enables you to become an influencer in your niche, build relationships and drive website traffic and sales on demand.
This Twitter Marketing Guide will show you 10 ways to Increase Your Twitter Followers!
- 320 Million Active Monthly Users. Twitter launched in 2006 and is an international powerhouse, with 79 percent of its users living outside the US.
- Connect With People You Don’t Know. Twitter a very open community. Almost all conversations are public and searchable. This allows you to discover new people with similar interests to yourself, and build relationships with influencers much easier than on Facebook and Linkedin.
- Research. News breaks faster on Twitter then anywhere else. Find news or links to industry-related articles, identify trending topics and use twitter search to tap into millions of opinions when creating new content.
Is Twitter for you? Find out with this exercise:
- Go to Twitter search (no account required), type in your business keywords, topics or competitors names.
- If people are having conversation around these topics then Twitter is relevant for you!
HOW TWITTER WORKS
Twitter is not as intuitive to use as Facebook.
However, the complexity of platform is a good thing: it keeps many marketers out who don’t take 10 mins to figure it out. Here’s an overview of 5 key features:
- Twitter 140 character limit: Great for both audience and brand forces concise communication. Use URL shortening tools like Bitly to help tidy up your tweets.
- Realtime News Feed: Your Twitter newsfeed is primarily sorted by chronological in order to enable real time conversation about a topic. A tweet you send will show up in all your followers accounts stream but only until it’s replaced by fresh content. Therefore, the real filtering system is time and not the “post you are likely to care about” like on Facebook. What this means is that you have permission to tweet a lot. You could send 17 tweets a day and tweet the same thing multiple times without overloading your followers
- @mentions. A mention is a Tweet that contains another user’s @username anywhere in the body of the Tweet. If you include multiple @usernames in your Tweet, all of those people will see your Tweet in their Notifications tab.
- @replies: Send an at-reply to another Twitter user by hitting the Reply button on any tweet. Type your message into the box that pops up and click Tweet. Your at-reply will show up in this person’s Interactions stream, which means it is more likely to be seen than a regular tweet.
- Direct messages (DM’s): If you don’t want anybody but the intended recipient to see your tweet, use a direct message. Click on the message tabs at the top of your Twitter profile and create a new message. Once you submit it, it will appear in the recipient’s inbox
Pro Tip: Download the Twitter Mobile App. This will help you respond to tweets within a few mins rather then 2 weeks later. Engage influencers and customers before they move on. Adjust mobile notification settings as required.
WHAT NOT TO DO
- Buying Twitter Followers. Numbers aren’t everything. What’s more important, 10,000 fans or followers, or 100 who will actually engage with you?
- Using Twitter Bots for Automated Follows & Direct Messages. Focus on having real conversations instead.
Now let’s look at 10 ways to increase your Twitter followers. p.s. This list was inspired by Kevin Rose’s 2009 article.
1. GET MORE RETWEETS
Encourage your followers to retweet your posts. Retweeting is what pushes your @username into foreign social graphs (like a Facebook share), resulting in clicks back to your profile.
4 Ways to Get More Retweets
- Share original content. Everybody loves to be the first to retweet the new stuff. By reacting quickly to breaking news or creating original content you will automatically increase your chances of being retweeted.
- Always Include a Picture. Tweets with images generate 150 percent more retweets than text-only tweets. Upload it directly on to Twitter so it’s instantly visible in the timeline – don’t link to a third party photo host (i.e., Instagram) where it requires an extra click to be seen.
- Ask. People often need a call to action. Simply asking for a retweet can generate 3-4 times the amount of engagement. Just add ““please retweet” at the start or end of tweet.
- Thank others for retweeting you. Let them know that you are aware and appreciative retweets via @replies.
Remember: Don’t just share things about yourself. Share things people will retweet.
2. OPTIMIZE YOUR PROFILE
All Twitter accounts are created equal. There’s no difference between personal or professional account in terms extra features or functionality like on Facebook.
Therefore, if you are the driving force of your business, you can use your personal profile. This makes it easier to promote your business is a human and approachable way without having to manage two accounts.
- Create an Account: https://twitter.com/
- Twitter Handle. Keep it consistent across all social profiles.
- Twitter Icon: Use a close up shot of your face or simple business logo.
- Twitter Header Image. Get Sizes & Header Templates at Canva.com
- Twitter Bio ideas. Your bio is the only place you have to tell people who you are. It’s basically your elevator pitch on steroids. Avoid meaningless buzzwords like “Marketing guru” or “Networking ninja”. Instead, tell us what you do or believe. Include keywords, social proof and employers account where appropriate.
3. PROMOTE YOUR TWITTER
Link It Up! Leverage existing online profiles (big or small) to springboard into Twitter.
- Email Signatures & Business Cards. Add a link to Twitter along with other social media accounts.
- Social Sharing Buttons. Add a link to your home page and individual posts. All my posts all display a Tweet button which mentions my account.
- Add a Follow Button to Your Website. Include in posts and on your “about” and “contact us” pages. Generate code at twitter>settings>widgets and paste into site.
- Add a Twitter Widget. Show your latest tweets in your Website sidebar.
- Cross-Pollinate Social Media Accounts. Ask existing email subscribers, Facebook fans, YouTube subscribers etc. to follow you on Twitter. Use the Twitter Tab for Pages App to share tweets automatically on Facebook.
4. USE HASHTAGS FOR DISCOVERABILITY
- Overall a great strategy. Add hashtags (keywords) in the copy of your tweets to increase the discoverability. Find trending hashtags on the left hand side of your computer Twitter feed or use Ritetag to see hashtag stats.
- Use a maximum of two hashtags per tweet. Hashtags are a useful way to get your tweet out to people who are actually interested in its main subject, but too many hashtags in a single post can be overwhelming.
- Use Twitter symbols to make tweets even more eye-catching.
5. FOLLOW TOP TWITTER USERS
- Follow your niche influencers and watch what they tweet. Pay attention to the type of content they sent out and how they address their audiences.
- Use Twitter Lists to influencers, customers or competitors into list so you can keep and eye on their content.
6. POSTER BOY FORMULA
- Mention other people. Remember, if you include @usernames in your Tweet, people will see your Tweet in their Notifications tab. This helps to extend the shelf life and exposure your tweets.
- Use the “Poster Boy Formula” to Supercharge your Retweets. Get the attention of influential people and Twitter accounts by mentioning them in Tweets. Show them the results you’ve gotten by reading their blog / taking their course / using their service etc. Everyone will retweet this “mini testimonial” because it makes them look good to their audience.
7. JOIN A TRENDING CONVERSATION
- This one is also a no-brainer, yet seldom executed. Also, it’s a very effective way to deepen the connection with existing followers and generate additional high-quality followers.
- Reply to/get involved in trending conversations. Use Twitter Advanced Search to look for the #hash topics and jump in on the conversation.
8. ASK QUESTIONS
Twitter is GREAT for getting opinions. Asking a question engages your Twitter followers and solicits their experience.
- Don’t Just Dump a Link. Ask a question instead. For example, “Do you think banner ads are dead?” followed by a link to your site is much more appealing than posting to Twitter, “Banner Ads Are Not Dead.”
- Give an Incentive to Answer. “I get tons of replies to my Twitter question if I say that I’ll post their answers on my blog.
9. BRING TWITTER INTO THE PHYSICAL WORLD
- @KevinRose: “Every time I give a talk, speak on a panel, shoot a podcast, present slides, or hand out business cards, I figure out a way to broadcast or display my twitter account.”
10. TRACK RESULTS
- Measure and boost your impact on Twitter. Twitter Analytics will show you how many followers you’ve added, impressions, top mentions, top followers & more.
BONUS TIP. SCHEDULE TWEETS WITH BUFFER
- This solves common a complaint; “I don’t have time to tweet all day long”.